Dance Composition: An Interrelated Arts Approach helps students investigate dance movement from a multidisciplinary perspective—something that no other dance text or package does.
This interactive package contains a book, music CD, and companion Web site with these features:
– 28 improvisational exercises that provide perspective on the shared characteristics among the arts for inspiration and motivation for dance making
– 6 in-depth interviews and 24 arts connections that highlight artists from disciplines and cultures around the world
– 3 independent dance projects that encompass numerous elements: music, composition, story adaptation, costumes and props, artist's statements, and reflections on the creative process
The exercises examine traditional and contemporary art forms from around the world and explore ways to physically interpret what is heard, seen, spoken, and emoted through movement experimentation. Through these exercises, students observe a concept, explore it by working independently and watching others, and reflect on it with others. They then create and present a choreographic work based on their explorations and reflections. The choreography is discussed in a final group reflection and personal journal entries in which students can document their findings for future use. The interviews and arts connections will expand students' vision and appreciation of artistic commonalities that exist among dance, music, theater, visual arts, and literary arts.
The music CD, which is bound into the book, contains original compositions that enrich dance exercises and movement exploration assignments. Created by percussionist and electroacoustic composer Barry Prophet, the selections cover a range of styles and dynamics, including rhythmic percussion, jazz, world music, minimalist soundscapes, and textural atmospheres.
The illustrations and photographs in the book provide a starting point for artistic awareness of elements common among the arts. Many of these visual images are available on the companion Web site. To help students and teachers incorporate technology in their creative process, this Web site also provides access to music software, instructions on creating computer-assisted music, a journal entry handout for each activity, self-assessment handouts, and rubrics.
No other art form interacts so pervasively with the other arts than dance. Dance Composition: An Interrelated Arts Approach will help students from secondary school through university levels create artistic work that inspires and empowers both performers and viewers.
- Paperback: 208 pages
- Publisher: Human Kinetics; Pck Pap/Co edition (January 9, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0736067906
- ISBN-13: 978-0736067904
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.6 x 10.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.3 pounds
An integrated presentation perfect for any library strong in dance history