The sly melodies of composer Kurt Weill and the daring of dramatist Bertolt Brecht come together onscreen under the direction of German auteur G.W. Pabst (Pandora’s Box) in this classic adaptation of the Weimar-era theatrical sensation. Set in the impoverished back alleys of Victorian London, The Threepenny Opera follows underworld antihero Mackie Messer (a.k.a. Mack the Knife) as he tries to woo Polly Peachum and elude the authorities. With its palpable evocation of corruption and dread, Pabst’s Threepenny Opera remains a benchmark of early sound cinema. It is presented here in both its celebrated German and rare French versions.
Note: The aspect ratio of this production is 1.19:1. This specifc ratio is particularly rare as it was used only in Germany prior to World War II, and has not been widely used since.
- Actors: Lotte Lenya, Rudolf Forster
- Directors: G.W. Pabst
- Format: Multiple Formats, NTSC, Black & White, Dolby, Digital Sound, Subtitled
- Language: English, German
- Subtitles: English
- Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: Unknown
- Number of discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Studio: Criterion
- DVD Release Date: September 18, 2007
- Run Time: 110 minutes
- ASIN: B000SFJ4KE
- update product info: or give feedback on images?
the restoration is simply excellent. Also the documentary about the film was a …
A classic that endures
A great find
Please Buy This